Pitt offers opportunities to learn about research ethics issues and the ethical design and conduct of research in various formats and forums. Moreover, the RESI supports the development of curricular offerings and extracurricular activities in multiple schools. Courses and regular forums are listed below, while specific events are listed on the RESI Events calendar.
I don’t find resources in my field. What can I do?
First, consider that many domains of research have ethical challenges analogous to those in other fields. Even contrasting challenges can be illuminating. Also, it is often easier to identify “what’s wrong” or devise a solution by achieving a bit of distance from a problem. So, learning about ethical challenges in another field can provide insights about one’s own area of research.
Second, librarians throughout the University and Health Sciences Library Systems can help you search for resources addressing your questions.
Third, you might want to work with the RESI staff to develop research ethics educational offerings in your field, department or school. The RESI has resources to support these efforts.
We’re offering research ethics programming. Can it be listed?
Can I find training opportunities to include in my training grant proposal here?
Yes, relevant training opportunities are listed below. Moreover, the RESI staff can work with you to identify or develop what is required for your particular application.
Online Research Ethics Education
- Collaborative Institutional Training Institute (CITI)
- Internet-based Studies in Education and Research (ISER)
- CLRES 2050 - Ethics & Responsible Conduct of Research
Short Courses and Regularly Occurring Forums
- From Benchtop to Bedside: What Every Scientist Needs to Know
- CTSI Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Training Workshops
- TESSA Talks
- Neuroethics Discussion Group. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Health Sciences Library System (HSLS)
- Medical Ethics 20XX Conference
Courses, Certificates, and Degrees
- CHE 2982 Ethics for Engineers: Issues in Teaching and Research
- CLRES 2050 Ethics and Responsible Conduct of Research
- INTBP 2290-1030 Scientific Ethics and the Responsible Conduct of Research
- PUBHLT 2030: Research Ethics and the Responsible Conduct of Research
- Certificate in Clinical Research (ICRE)
- Master of Arts in Bioethics